Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Sweet Eats

Ice cream is my favorite food. In all seriousness. Creamy, dreamy, and refreshingly delicious especially on a hot summer's day in the city.

And on one of my ventures downtown this summer, I have found my new favorite ice cream store: the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory. Not only is the ice cream quality excellent, but the wide variety of amazing flavors brings the place to the top of my list. Egg custard, red bean, almond cookie, pandan...it took me quite a sad amount of time to pick out the flavor I wanted, but my ultimate choice was black sesame. Like, what an ingenious idea, right? Whoever thought of black sesame ice cream is my hero.


The price is definitely on the steeper side - $4 for a single scoop. Though small, I felt like that scoop was actually pretty satisfactory and lasted a while. The ice cream is dense and almost gooey in texture. There were little pieces of black sesame that added a lovely touch. I savored every bite.

In other news, I finally found the waffle truck I'd been trying to hunt down since the beginning of the summer! I even follow it on Twitter, in hopes that it will stop at campus sometime, but last weekend my friend and I decided to make a trip to Columbus Circle for some of them waffles before doing our grocery shopping.

The famous Wafels & Dinges truck is definitely hard to miss - bright yellow, with wafts of sweet and savory aroma escaping from the window, where a long line of people are waiting for their goodie-topped waffles. I ordered a liege waffle with spekuloos, which is basically warm liquid gingerbread. The concoction was topped with a light dusting of powdered sugar.


Party. In. My. Mouth.

The waffle was crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside, with its edges slightly burnt (which I personally found appealing). The spekuloos had the consistency of melted peanut butter, and tasted exactly like a flavorful gingerbread sauce. There were a variety of additional toppings available (at an extra cost however) but I feel like this combination is just perfect...anything else would have taken away from the spicy-sweet flavoring of the spekuloos and the waffle's buttery goodness. *drool*

The fact that the Wafels truck will be right by the campus gates when the school year starts is a rather dangerous one. I'm gonna be needing maximum self-control every Monday when I walk to class...

No comments:

Post a Comment