Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Mmm Falafel

Falafel and New York City have quite an intimate relationship. On almost every street corner where I currently live, there is a halal cart serving falafel. Today I went downtown to my yoga class in St. Mark's place and got a falafel pita (a mighty delicious one, I might add) at Mamoun's, a little shop next door. It was only $2.50! Cheap yet delicious food = happy college student. But yes, falafel. Whether it is in sandwich form, over salad, or simply on its own, the it is the superstar food item in this city. In fact, I had never even heard of it until I came to here.

Anyways, recently my friend showed me this insanely awesome-looking recipe: green falafel balls!

Needless to say, I'm gonna try it as soon as I get myself a blender. One of my main gripes about falafel is that it is deep fried. I can't help but wince on the inside every time a healthy food is turned into something that is not-so good for you. Chickpeas are awesome. Falafels are pretty cool too, minus the fact that they come from a deep fryer. But ta-da, this recipes seems to have it all! I'll probably pass on the lettuce wrapper and just stick with whole wheat pita. A leaf just doesn't suffice as a bread substitution for me...

But I am so excited to experiment with this. There will definitely be a post on it, hopefully in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment