Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Curry & Kabab (Morningside Heights)

I absolutely LOVE Indian food. There is really nothing else like it...the distinctive aromas, the symphony of carefully blended spices, the tenderness of the meat. Thank goodness campus has its fair share of Indian places in close proximity.

The other day I checked out Curry & Kabab, a cute little restaurant on Amsterdam. They had a lunch special going on, so I was able to get a more-than-satisfying meal of samosa, naan, and lamb shaag with rice for $7.99. It took me so long to order because I had to ask about pretty much everything on the menu since it was in Indian, but in the end it was worth it because my lamb shaag was delish! Oh by the way, the owner of this place was our waiter and he is the cutest old Indian man I've ever seen...he remained patient and smiling despite my many questions. Kind of reminded me of my grandpa, but anyway...on to the food.

Samosa was probably my favorite part of the meal. It was very hot when it came out, the outside dough fried to crispy perfection. Inside was a mix of veggies and chickpeas. We also got a selection of three sauces and I became addicted to the red pepper chutney thing (I wish I knew what it was called)...it was sweet and spicy, perfectly complimenting the savory samosa.



My lamb shaag was excellent as well, though the flavor was not as complex as I had expected from usual Indian cuisine. It was a mix of lamb and spinach, served with a generous portion of basmati saffron rice. There were a few chunks of lamb, maybe 5 or 6, and a lot of spinach. The lamb was so tender though, and I savored each of the few pieces I got.


My friend got the chicken khorma, which was Indian butter chicken in a creamy almond sauce. She claimed that she enjoyed it, but has had better.


And of course, how can one eat at an Indian restaurant and not have naan? We ordered a garlic naan to share...it was fluffy yet chewy, perfect for mopping up the remnants of our dishes ;)


All in all, I would definitely recommend this place to any and all Indian food lovers. All of the Morningside Heights Indian places are on my to-go list, but I think I'll eventually be coming back to this one for a revisit!

No comments:

Post a Comment