Pages

Saturday, August 6, 2011

More pancakes :)

I never realized how perfect of a breakfast pancakes are on weekend mornings. They're quick, delicious, and so versatile! Today, I decided to try something kind of odd: cottage cheese pancakes. Yeah yeah, not many people are very fond of cottage cheese, but I actually like its saltiness and interesting texture. And believe it or not, it adds a lot to a pancake's fluffiness factor. Most of the pancakes from store-bought mixes I've had are very bread-y and sort of dry out my mouth. These, on the other hand, are soft yet moist at the same time. And incredibly easy to make, too!


Cottage Cheese Pancakes
(makes about 3 medium-sized pancakes)

1/2 cup flour (I used whole wheat)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup cottage cheese (I used nonfat)
1/3 cup milk (I used almond)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
olive oil or baking spray 

1. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in one bowl.
2. Combine cottage cheese, milk, vanilla, and egg in another/
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mix well.
4. Coat skillet with olive oil or baking spray.
5. Scoop about a third of the batter onto the skillet, making a round shape.
6. Let cook for about a minute and a half, then flip to cook other side for about a minute.
7. Top with cinnamon, syrup, fruit, peanut butter, etc and enjoy!


Topping with lots of syrup was super yummy. Love the combination of sweet and salty! Next time, I think I'll add some mashed bananas or blueberries to the mix. Or perhaps go with savory pancakes and use some onions or scallions. The possibilities are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment