Pages

Monday, June 27, 2011

Getting in touch with my Asian roots...

So the other day, I actually had a craving for rice. Never thought the day would come. Back at home, my mom would make rice every single night for dinner. My sister and I complained like none other, that rice tasted like nothing and that we were so bored of the texture. So I admit my parents were right, that one day I'd be enjoying rice so I should learn how to make it for myself. And that day was the day.

Anyhow, I was yearning for some rice to go with my Trader Joe's Channa Masala (yay frozen dinners) but I had no rice cooker. Though this past weekend when I was in Koreatown I did see some of that pre-packaged rice that you can pop in the microwave...but how sketch does that sound? Idk, seemed pretty questionable to me. So I decided to do some research and find out how to make rice without a rice cooker. Fortunately, it turned out to be super easy, thanks to this website.

The rice turned out nice and fluffy, and awesomely ready to be mixed with
that channa masala. Btdubs Trader Joe's microwavable dinners are fantastic. This one in particular was only $2.19 and had two servings. So I had half leftover from the night before, when I ate it with some naan. Indian food rocks. The meal probably would have been better with basmati rather than jasmine rice but at this point I was really ready to eat any type of rice.


So good! Yes, I added some bok choy...just to add to the Asian-ness.


Moral of the story is: you do not need a rice cooker to make rice! Simply cook it over a stove like how you would make pasta, simple as that. Pretty awesome discovery, if I do say so myself :)

D

No comments:

Post a Comment